Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Snow days 2

I first posted about snow days in 2010.  The link to that post is here.

Little has changed since then.  Now I wait for the call from Esther from S&K instead of John from Newry as we have a different bus line now.  Sometimes I miss John's deep, cheery voice so early in the morning.

Yesterday we didn't have a snow day, but many others around us did.  Angie at Central and I agonized over this, put the info we had together and decided that we should to stay open.  We always tell our staff to use their best judgement in coming; if they can't make it in then they call us.

No matter if we decide to stay open, or to close due to the weather it is not an easy decision for principals.  I worry about snow days for all the same reasons I did in 2010.  I also worry about asking staff to drive in less than perfect weather, and kids walking in the cold, wind and snow when we stay open.  Regardless of the call that we make at 6am, someone is always upset with the decision.  Very often that includes my husband who would prefer I not drive through the weather myself....

I know that sending your kids or keeping them at home on a blustery day is your call as parents; I get it.  But also know that the decision to stay open wasn't made lightly, foremost in my mind is the balance between safety and the importance of academics, because that is the business I am in.

Stay warm.

Kathy