Monday, January 31, 2011

Celebrating Character

There has been much emphasis at this school, in the community and the media around anti-bullying campaigns.  The Stand Up Campaign at Eastdale is an example.
But...
I've been thinking lately that we are spending much time focusing on the few who do not reflect the good character that exists at Eastdale; and I think it's time we celebrate the positive rather than dwell on negatives.
So...
I've come up with a plan.  I'm calling it Fine Dining at Eastdale. This morning I invited 20 students who consistently demonstrate good character at all times, not just when someone is watching.  These are children I've not heard a negative report about from students or teachers, and who generally try to do the right thing.  (There are far more than 20 such students at Eastdale, but this is where I've started.)  I sent personal invitations to these students to join me during nutrition breaks to eat in the "dining hall" on the stage.  We listen to soft music, have dimmed lighting, enjoy each others' company, maybe we'll watch a movie. 
Manners are required at Fine Dining so students must stay seated, use "please and thank you," and ask to be excused before leaving the table.
I think the students enjoyed their lunch times today.  I know I did. 
It's nice to celebrate with deserving little people.  I could get used to this Fine Dining.