Monday, January 17, 2011

This is the massive snowfort my kids and hubby have built in our backyard.  It's a work of art, I tell you.  It's been a week in the making.  My hubby assures me that it is structurally sound....

The "Fort" has caused me to reflect on the many woes of fort building at school....

I am regularly confronted with complaints on the yard the "so and so stole my snow" and "blank took our boulders" and "miss and mr took over our fort when we hard started building it last week..."  etc. etc.

I find by this time of the year I have very little patience for the snowfort battles.  'Cause really, we're going to argue about who owns which snow? 

I see how world wars start.  The need to control and possess property/land/snow is all the same mentality and suggesting that you find a way to share it often doesn't work. 

In the scope of my day, listening to who built which wall with which door often doesn't land very high on my list of daily priorities, but do understand the need to be heard.  Sometimes I am amazed at the solutions the students come up with.  They can be very creative with their boundaries and willingness to "add on" rooms so that more children can play.  These are good lessons on compromise.

And if all else fails?
I say, "I own the snow!"