Sunday, January 2, 2011

Gratitude

On January 1, 2010 I started a gratitude journal.  I got the idea from Oprah.  Every night (almost) before bedtime I write 3-5 things that I was grateful for that day. 

I reread my journal yesterday.  It's neat to look back at the year, and all the things that brought me joy.  Here's the thing that has caused me to reflect.  I am surprised at the number of little, mundane things that I was grateful for.  I didn't write any explanations, so I don't have a context to put the entries in.  I wrote things like "new pen," "___ made me laugh," "kids did the dishes without being asked," "it didn't rain" and "found my keys."  This has reminded me that the little things really do add up, and I need to remember to look for them.

Here's the other thing that rings true.  Many, many of the entries are related to my job, my school.  How wonderful to go to work everyday in a place that makes me glad to be there.  I don't know that everyone can say that.

So I start 2011 already grateful that tomorrow I will be back at Eastdale.  It won't be a snowday, and all the little "peeps" I've missed will surely make my day once again.

Happy 2011, friends.